Sunday, April 20, 2008

Canal Study, Venice August 2007


I don't seem to get anywhere near enough "printing time", as you can see I'm still working my way through the Venice negs from last year. I particularly like this image which was taken whilst we were strolling around the "Ghetto" area of Venice on a very quiet Sunday afternoon. In the early 16th Century Jews in Venice were confined in this area and the term "Ghetto" was used I believe for the first time.
In my darkroom I made my usual 8X10" print on resin coated paper, I tend to do this to a) see if the image is worth enlarging onto 12x16 fibre (proper) paper and b) with a view to scanning the photo for publishing in the blog.
The rather dreamlike quality was achieved by laying a sheet if tissue paper over the paper on the enlarger easel for about 3/4 of the total exposure time, a brief bath in photographic bleach lightened the highlights somewhat.
I now have a 12X16 version hanging on my wall next to two violins that I will show you soon.

No comments: